- Yield 15 to 20 servings
A great side dish to accompany your Mexican meal.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 1 can (12 ounce) beer
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chopped cilantro
- Shredded cheese and chopped green onions
- Combine the beans with enough water to cover by 1 to 2 inches in a bowl and soak for 8 to 10 hours; drain.
- Combine with the beer in a large saucepan and add enough water to cover by 1 to 2 inches. Add the onion and bacon.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 1 hour or until the beans are tender.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the tomatoes with green chiles, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Simmer until serving time on the stove top or in a slow cooker set on Low.
- Add the cilantro just before serving. Serve in bowls and garnish with cheese and green onions.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Plano, Lone Star to Five Star, Culinary Creations for Every Occasion (The Junior League of Plano, 2004)