- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 1cup pearl barley
- 6tablespoons butter
- 2ounces (1/3 cup) pine nuts or pecans
- 1cup chopped green onions
- 1/2cup chopped fresh parsley (2 1/2 tablespoons dried)
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/3cups chicken broth
- 1/3cup of all or any combination of the following vegetables, sliced: red bell pepper, yellow squash, eggplant, yellow bell pepper, zucchini, parboiled sweet potato
- 1/4cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Rinse barley in cold water and drain. In a 10-inch skillet, heat butter and brown pine nuts. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve. Saute green onions and barley until lightly toasted. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon into ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Heat broth to boiling and pour over barley mixture. Stir to blend well. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Lightly saute vegetables, about 5 to 7 minutes, in 1/4 cup butter. Vegetables should not be soggy. After barley has baked add it to vegetables and toss.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tyler’s And Roses for the Table (The Junior League of Tyler, Texas 1997).