- Yield 6 to 8 servings
A great side-dish to any entree.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces (1/3 cup) pine nuts or pecans
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (2 1/2 tablespoons dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup of all or any combination of the following vegetables, sliced: red bell pepper, yellow squash, eggplant, yellow bell pepper, zucchini, parboiled sweet potato
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Rinse barley in cold water and drain. In a 10-inch skillet, heat butter and brown pine nuts. Remove with slotted spoon and reserve. Saute green onions and barley until lightly toasted. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts, parsley, salt and pepper. Spoon into ungreased 2-quart casserole.
- Heat broth to boiling and pour over barley mixture. Stir to blend well. Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Lightly saute vegetables, about 5 to 7 minutes, in 1/4 cup butter. Vegetables should not be soggy. After barley has baked add it to vegetables and toss.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tyler’s And Roses for the Table (The Junior League of Tyler, Texas 1997).