- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Serve this rich but wholesome-tasting side dish in place of rice for a change.
- 1 cup medium barley
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon light stick margarine
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a 3-quart casserole dish, combine barley, onion soup mix and water.
- In a small skillet, melt margarine over medium-low heat and saute mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to barley mixture. Cover with a lid or tightly with foil and bake 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until barley is done and liquid is absorbed.