Barley and Mushroom Casserole
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Fiber-rich barley is a great alternative to rice.
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup medium barley pearl
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a small skillet, melt the margarine and saute both kinds of mushrooms until tender, about 5 minutes; set aside. In a 3-quart casserole dish, combine the barley, onion soup mix and water. Stir in the mushroom mixture. Cover and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until the barley is done and the liquid absorbed.