- 1 bottle Weber® Original BBQ Sauce, divided
- 1/4cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2cup olive oil
- 6large porabella mushrooms, same size as rolls
- 1large Vidalia onion, cut into 6 thick slices
- 1/2pound white cheddar cheese, sliced thin and brought to room temperature
- 1/2pound Parmesan-Reggiano cheese, sliced with peeler and brought to room temperature
- 6 onion rolls
- Head of garlic, roasted
- 1/2cup best-quality mayonnaise
- 2tablespoons Weber® Original BBQ Sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Sour or dill picle slices, optional
- Mix 1/2 bottle of Weber® Original BBQ Sauce with vinegar and olive oil to make a “marinade.” Set aside.
- Clean mushrooms, removing stems and set aside.
- Between 10 and 30 minutes before grilling, pour the BBQ sauce marinade on mushrooms and onions. Remove from marinade, leaving it in the underside of the mushrooms – do not dry off. Reserve marinade. Place mushrooms and onions on the cooking grate and grill for 8 to 10 minutes, gill-side up for mushrooms. Turn over for 1 to 2 minutes more and brush with some of the reserved marinade. The mushrooms should be tender, and the onions should still be crisp.
- Split kaiser rolls in half. Meanwhile, mix garlic and mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons of the Weber® Original BBQ Sauce until smooth. Assemble sandwiches by spreading both sides with garlic-BBQ sauce mayonnaise, and layer mushroom, onions and both cheeses. If you want the cheese to be melted, put on during the final 2 minutes of cooking time to melt.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired. Place top of roll on each sandwich, top with pickles and cut in half before serving.
Recipe by Elizabeth Karmel