Barbecue Vegetable Brochettes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1pound extra-firm tofu (optional)
- 1 bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce
- 1small red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded
- 1/2pound cremini or button mushrooms
- 2cups cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1medium zucchini (optional)
- Cut tofu, if using, into 1-inch cubes and marinate in some of the barbecue sauce for 30 minutes or more. Cut onion into 1-inch chunks, then separate the layers. Cut bell peppers into generous bite-size pieces. Remove stems from mushrooms and tomatoes, if using. Cut zucchini, if using, into 1/2-inch slices.
- Preheat oven to 450F or light the grill.
- Thread the vegetables and tofu, if using, onto 8 skewers.
- For oven-roasted brochettes: Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with foil, then place the brochettes across the pan so the ends of the skewers rest on the edges of the pan. Brush liberally with barbecue sauce and bake for 20 minutes, brushing with additional barbecue sauce about halfway through cooking and at the end of the cooking time.
- For grilled brochettes: Brush the brochettes with barbecue sauce and place over medium-hot coals for 10 to 15 minutes, turning occasionally and basting with additional barbecue sauce.
Recipe from New Century Nutrition, courtesy of The Cancer Project
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 48
- Fat 0,2g
- Saturated Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 208mg
- Carbohydrate 12g
- Fiber 1g
- Sugars 8g
- Protein 1g