Barbara Kingsolver’s Eggplant Papoutzakia
- Yield 10 servings
A Greek-inspired recipe from Barbara Kingsolver's narrative Animal, Vegetable, Miracle.
- 2 pounds eggplant
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium onions, diced (or 1 large)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- Black pepper
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Sliced eggplants lengthwise, about 1/2-inch thick. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. After 30 minutes, dab them dry.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Brush eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil and roast 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and sauté until translucent. Add diced tomatoes, nutmeg, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Continue sautéing until ingredients meld into a chunky sauce.
- Layer eggplant and sauce in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Top with cheese. Bake until sauce is thoroughly heated and cheese is browned and bubbly.