Banana Spice Cupcakes with Nutmeg Cream Topping
- Yield servings
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1 cup well-mashed very ripe bananas
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, butter, and nut flavoring or vanilla extract
- 8 ounces fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed in refrigerator
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the cupcake ingredients.
- Using an electric mixer, beat on low for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to medium. Beat for 2 minutes. Spoon into two 12-cup nonstick muffin pans.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Transfer to cooling racks and let cool for 15 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, using a rubber scraper, gently fold the nutmeg into the whipped topping. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Spread the chilled topping over the cupcakes up to 8 hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate.
Reprinted from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition by American Heart Association. Copyright © 2010 by American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter, a division of Random House, Inc.