- Yield 6-8 servings
Whipped cream, strawberries and bananas are a perfect topping to this creamy, banana pudding
"This was my mother's recipe. All of us children thought her banana pudding was the best. My daughter, Elaine T. McGruder, make me a cookbook out of the recipes I've collected. She said when she looked through these recipes, she was reminded of the bumper sticker that says, 'Life is short, eat dessert first.'"
- 1 (11-ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 4 large or 6 small ripe bananas, sliced
- 3 egg yolks, well beaten
- 1/2 cup cornstarch or flour
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Layer vanilla wafers and bananas in a bowl until it is almost full.
- Mix egg yolks with sugar, cornstarch, and milk in a saucepan.
- Cook on low heat until thick. Add vanilla and pour over wafers and bananas.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: This recipe is still sweet with one cup of sugar. Try substituting a no-fat version of evaporated milk for a lighter dessert. If desired, pudding can be topped with meringue or whipped cream.
—Stella Thompson, Fort Payne, Ala.