Banana Pudding Trifle
- Yield 16 servings
This is banana pudding taken to an incredible level.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups skim milk
- 2 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 -- (11-ounce) box reduced-fat vanilla wafers, divided
- 6 -- bananas, divided
- 2 -- (1.4-ounce) English toffee candy bars, crushed, divided
- 1 -- (8-ounce) container fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Gradually stir in milk and bring the mixture to a boil over a medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Place the egg yolks in a small bowl and gradually pour some of the hot custard into the egg yolks, mixing well with a fork. Gradually, pour the yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining custard, cooking over a low heat for several minutes. Do not boil. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla. Transfer the custard to a bowl and allow to cool.
- In a trifle bowl or large glass bowl, place one-third of the vanilla wafers. Slice 2 of the bananas and place on top of the wafters. Spread one-half of the custard on top and sprinkle with one-half of the crushed candy bars. Repeat the layers again using all of the remaining custard and crushed candy bars. Place the final one-third layer of the vanilla wafers on top. Add 2 sliced bananas and top with the whipped topping.