Banana Pudding Surprise with Strawberry Jam
- Yield 6 servings
Strawberry jam provides a sweet surprise in this reduced-fat, old-fashioned banana pudding.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 -- low-fat vanilla wafters
- 2 -- ripe bananas, sliced
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan; stir well.
- Whisk together milk and egg yolks in a mixing bowl. Gradually add milk-egg mixture to sugar and cornstarch in the saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Spoon 1/4 cup pudding mixture along bottom of a 9x9x2-inch pan. Arrange half the vanilla wafers on top. Top each wafer with a banana slice. Spread half the remaining pudding on top. Spread carefully with jam and then layer with remaining wafers. Top each wafer again with a banana slice. Cover with remaining pudding and serve immediately or refrigerate.