Banana Pie with Chocolate Glaze
- Yield 8 servings
Banana pudding fans will love this fabulous pie.
- Crust and Filling:
- 2 cups finely crushed reduced-fat vanilla wafters
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 -- bananas, sliced
- -- Custard Filling (recipe follows)
- -- Glaze (recipe follows)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon butter extract
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water, if needed
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare the crust and filling: In a 9-inch pie plate, mix vanilla wafers, margarine, and vanilla together and pat into the pie plate. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and arrange banana slices on top of crust.
- To prepare the custard: In a medium saucepan, mix together the cornstarch and sugar. Gradually add the milk and heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Gradually add about 3/4 cup hot custard to egg, stirring and then transfer back to pot; continue cooking for one minute. Remove from heat; add extract and spoon custard over top of bananas.
- To prepare the glaze: In a small bowl mix cocoa, margarine, and confectioners' sugar. Gradually add water to make a thick glaze consistency. Pour glaze on top to cover.