Vegan Banana Nut Bread
- Yield 12 servings
Substitutions such as whole-wheat flour, soy yogurt, and almond milk make this moist banana bread a sensible treat.
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1/3 cup plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cream margarine, shortening, and sugar together with an electric mixer. Add bananas and beat until well incorporated. One at a time, add the all-purpose flour, pastry flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, yogurt, milk, and pecans, incorporating each ingredient fully before adding the next.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Recipes from Quick and Easy Low-Cal Vegan Comfort Food: 150 Down-Home Recipes Packed with Flavor, Not Calories, copyright © Alicia C. Simpson, 2012. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold.