Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Yield servings
- 3 whole very ripe bananas
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nuts, chopped (if desired)
- Move oven rack to low position so tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350. Spray bottom only of 2 loaf pans with cooking spray. In medium bowl, mash bananas with potato masher or fork to measure 1 1/2 cups.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar and butter. Stir in eggs until well mixed. Stir in bananas, buttermilk and vanilla until smooth. Stir in flower, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Divide batter evenly between pans.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Run knife along side of pan to loosen the bread, remove bread from pan to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing.
Reprinted with permission from Betty Crocker’s Living with Cancer Cookbook by Kris Gosh, M.D., M.B.A. and Linda Carson, M.D. (c) John Wiley & Sons Inc.