Balsamic Roasted Pear and Stilton Cheese Salad
- Yield 4 servings
A perfect salad, featuring sweet pears and pungent Stilton cheese, for autumn dinners.
- Balsamic Roasted Pears:
- 4 firm pears (bosc, anjou, bartlett or red bartlett)
- 1 cup Ginger Ale Maple Glaze
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup water plus more as needed
- 4 cups field greens, arugula, spinach or chopped romaine
- 1 (4-ounce) package Stilton or blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, walnut oil or hazelnut oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic, fig or red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To prepare the pears: Peel the pears and halve them lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a melon baller or teaspoon. Lay the pears down on their cut sides in a nonreactive baking dish. Pour the glaze, vinegar and 1/2 cup water over the pears and bake, uncovered, 35 minutes, basting occasionally with the pan juices, until pears are tender and the glaze turns golden brown. You can add a bit more water if needed to prevent pearsfrom sticking to the pan.
- To make salad: Place 1 cup greens on each of 4 plates. Top the greens with 2 pear halves sliced 1/2 inch thick. Divide the cheese and nuts over each salad. Drizzle the salads with oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Pour some of the pear cooking juices over the salads, if desired.