Baked Vanilla French Toast
- Yield 8 servings
Make this breakfast treat the night before serving.
- 1 cup light maple syrup
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf French bread
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Coat a 3-quart oblong baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour the maple syrup into the dish. Slice the French bread into eight 2-inch slices and place over the syrup.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, egg whites, skim milk, vanilla and nutmeg until well blended. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, pressing the bread to soak up the liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.