Baked Tomatoes with White Cheese and Cracker Crumbs
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
You can use green tomatoes or even yellow or heirloom varieties if you want to mix it up a bit.
- 1/2 cup crushed crackers of your choice (Ritz, saltines or whole-wheat crackers)
- 1 cup coarsely grated white cheese (queso blanco)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 medium tomatoes, not overly ripe, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine cracker crumbs, white cheese, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper in a small mixing bowl. Place tomato halves in a nonreactive baking dish cut side up. Divide and distribute crumb mixture over tomatoes and drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes until golden and tender.