Baked Stuffed Fish with Cheese Sauce
- Yield 6 servings
Spinach topped with an old-fashioned stuffing layered with fish and a cheese sauce will satisfy the hungriest of diners.
- 2 -- (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- -- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds fish fillets
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- -- Paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain very well. Place spinach in bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion, garlic, celery, green onion and green pepper over medium-high heat until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add stuffing mix, chicken broth, sage and thyme, mixing well. Spread stuffing evenly over spinach. Place fish fillets in one layer over stuffing. Sprinkle with lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a small saucepan and gradually mix in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat and continue cooking until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in Cheddar until melted. Pour cheese sauce over fish and sprinkle top with paprika. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until fish is done and flakes easily when tested with a fork.