Baked Stuffed Fish with Cheese Sauce
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2cup chopped celery
- 1/3cup chopped green onions
- 1/2cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1cup seasoned stuffing mix
- 1/2cup canned fat-free chicken broth
- 1/4teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 2pounds fish fillets
- 1/4cup lemon juice
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1cup skim milk
- 1/2cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook spinach according to package directions; drain very well. Place spinach in bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion, garlic, celery, green onion and green pepper over medium-high heat until tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add stuffing mix, chicken broth, sage and thyme, mixing well. Spread stuffing evenly over spinach. Place fish fillets in one layer over stuffing. Sprinkle with lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Place flour in a small saucepan and gradually mix in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, over medium-high heat and continue cooking until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat and stir in Cheddar until melted. Pour cheese sauce over fish and sprinkle top with paprika. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until fish is done and flakes easily when tested with a fork.