Baked Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Yield: 8 servings
This can be assembled in advance, covered, and chilled. Bake as the recipe indicates, but keep it mind that it may need a few extra minutes.
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8ounces baby spinach (about 10 cups)
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2cups shredded Italian 4-cheese blend (parmesan, Asiago, Fontina, and Provolone)
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2cup sour cream
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts (not marinated), drained and roughly chopped
- 1/4-1/2teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Crostini, crackers, or pita chips, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and sauté, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the spinach gradually and sauté, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a colander set in the sink and let drain, pushing down on the spinach with a spoon to remove any excess liquid.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup of the shredded cheese with the cream cheese, sour cream, artichoke hearts, and red pepper flakes. Add the spinach, stir to combine, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into a 1-quart ovenproof casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Bake until bubbly, 25-30 minutes. After baking, try placing the dip under the broiler on high for 1-2 minutes to brown the top. Be careful not to do it any longer, or your dish could break! Serve warm with crostini, crackers, or pita chips.
Excerpted from The Yellow Table, © 2014 by Anna Watson Carl. Reproduced by permission of Yellow Table Press.