Baked Sesame Tomatoes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- 4medium ripe tomatoes
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4cup plain breadcrumbs
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1tablespoon sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut out the cores of the tomatoes. Slice each tomato in half horizontally and scoop out the seeds. Place the halves cut-side up in a 13 x 9-inch rimmed baking sheet or casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder and salt and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the tops of the tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, olive oil, oregano, parsley, and sesame seeds until crumbs form. Spread this mixture evenly over the tops of the tomatoes.
- Bake the tomatoes for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are tender enough to be pierced easily with a fork but still hold their shape. Serve hot.
Reprinted with permission from The Naptime Chef by Kelsey Banfield, Running Press, 2012