Baked Risotto with Roasted Vegetables
- Yield: 2 servings
If you don’t like the idea of standing at the stove and stirring risotto to a perfect consistency, this is the method is for you. Thirty minutes in the oven and this risotto comes out cooked to perfection while you and your beloved wind down from your day. If you’ve made Roasted Winter Vegetables earlier in the week, you can reheat leftovers as a topping here. If not, roast a favorite combination in the oven with your risotto.
- Roasted Winter Vegetables:
- 2pounds winter squash or pumpkin, parsnips, carrots, beets or a mix
- 2medium red or yellow onions, quartered
- -- Extra-virgin olive oil
- -- Kosher salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- -- Handful of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped, for garnish
- Baked Risotto:
- 1teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2-- onion, finely chopped
- 3/4cup Arborio rice
- 1/4cup dry white wine
- 2 to 2 1/4cup hot water, homemade or packaged organic chicken broth, or a mix
- 3/4teaspoon kosher salt
- pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 to 2tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Peel and cut the vegetables into equal sized pieces, about 1-inch chunks. Toss vegetables and onions in olive oil in a large bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Spread the pieces out in a single layer on one or two roasting pans/trays so that the vegetables don’t touch. Roast until the veggies on the top rack of the oven until lightly browned and just tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the vegetable. Remove and toss with additional olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with parsley before serving.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in an ovenproof saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until it is soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the rice and stir to coat with the oil. Stir in the wine and cook until the wine has evaporated, 1 minute more. Stir in 2 cups of the hot water, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake on the bottom rack during the last 25 minutes of roasting time for the vegetables. After 25 minutes, check the risotto. Most of the liquid should be absorbed and the rice just cooked.
- Remove the risotto from the oven and stir in another 1/2 cup hot cups of water and the butter and cheese.
- Serve topped with roasted vegetables with thin shavings of Parmigiano-Reggiano.