Baked Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
- Yield 6 servings
A classic with a cold weather spin incorporates the delicate roasted pumpkin.
Flexibility is key, as this dish can be concocted dairy-free or in the traditional style with cheese.
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 small pumpkin, roasted*
- 1/2 cup unflavored soy milk, milk alternative or milk
- 1/2 cup cream cheese alternative or cream cheese
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- In a large pot over high heat, bring salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until it is al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together breadcrumbs and french fried onions. Set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat a medium bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the oil and margarine. Add the onion and thyme to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir the flour into the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk the stock into the pan. Stir in the roasted pumpkin, milk and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the cream cheese, nutritional yeast, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until thoroughly combined.
- When sauce is well combined, stir in the drained pasta. Transfer to a baking dish and top with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until browned and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
*To roast the pumpkin: Preheat oven to 400F. Cut pumpkin in half and remove seeds. Roast, cut side down on a baking sheet for 50-60 minutes, or until the pumpkin can easily be scooped out of its skin. Scoop the pumpkin out and set aside.