Baked Potato Soup
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Kids will love this tasty potato soup.
- 4 large baking potatoes
- 2/3 cup margarine
- 2/3 cup flour
- 6 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 -- green onions, chopped (optional)
- 8 ounces sour cream (optional)
- Bake the potatoes at 400F for 1 hour. Let stand until cool. Cut the potatoes into halves lengthwise. Scoop the pulp into a bowl and discard the potato skins. Melt the margarine in a saucepan over low heat. Add the flour gradually, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Add the potato pulp, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup of the crumbled bacon and 1 cup of the cheese and mix well. Cook until heated through, adding additional milk if necessary to reach the desired consistency. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the green onions. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon, the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and the remaining green onions. Top each serving with a dollop of sour cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tyler Texas, Inc. Ring Around the Rosie, A Collection of Children’s Recipes (Tyler, Tx., 2007).