- 3pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1Ž2-inch pieces
- 2medium yellow onions, diced
- 1bunch green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1teaspoon coarse salt
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) bag grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2pound sliced bacon
- 1cup heavy cream
- To prepare for the freezer: Divide potatoes, onions, garlic, salt and pepper between two large freezer bags. Place bacon, cheese and a copy of this recipe in another large bag. Label bags and tape together. Place in freezer. Put a sticky note on broth and heavy cream.
- To cook: Remove bags from freezer and let thaw about 30 minutes. Empty bags of vegetables into a 6-quart slow cooker; add broth. Cover and cook on LOW 6 hours. Turn off slow cooker and stir in heavy cream.
- Cook and crumble bacon. Ladle soup into bowl and top with bacon and shredded cheese. Makes 5 quarts.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 230
- Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 45g
- Sodium 450mg
- Carbohydrate 25g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 8g