Baked Potato Soup with Bacon and Cheddar
- Yield 12 servings
Enjoy the flavors of a loaded baked potato in this comforting soup.
- 10 Idaho Potatoes (5 pounds)
- 2 3/4 quarts chicken stock (5 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup margarine (6 ounces)
- 4 1/2 cups diced onions (1 3/4 pounds)
- 2 cups diced celery (1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups flour (6-ounces)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8-ounces)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream (6-ounces)
- 3/4 cup cooked, crumbled bacon
- 3/4 cup sour cream (6 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup chopped green onions (6 ounces)
- Bake Idaho Potatoes. Cool, peel and cut into large chunks.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Melt margarine in a non-reactive pot. Add onions and celery; sauté about 5 minutes. Add flour; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in chicken stock, blending well. Bring to a boil. Add Idaho Potatoes; reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Stir in cheddar cheese, cream and bacon; heat through.
- Remove soup from heat; stir in sour cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Garnish each serving with green onions, additional crumbled bacon and herbs, if desired.