Baked Pork Chops
- Yield: 6 servings
"I've enjoyed this recipe for more than 50 years. My mother made it often, and I always looked forward to it. It was one of the recipes I learned to make as a new bride."
- 2 eggs
- 2tablespoons water
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon pepper
- 1cup breadcrumbs
- 6 (1/2-inch) thick pork chops
- 1/2cup cider or apple juice
- 4tablespoons cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Break eggs in a shallow bowl. Whisk in 2 tablespoons water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Pour breadcrumbs in another shallow bowl and season with remaining salt and pepper. Dab moisture from each pork chop with a paper towel. Individually dip pork chops in egg mixture, then coat well with breadcrumbs.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy skillet. Fry half of the pork chops until brown on both sides. Place in shallow baking dish. Repeat with remaining chops and oil. When all fried chops are in the baking dish, pour vinegar into pan. Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake 30 to 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes to brown chops.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Serve hot with applesauce, stuffing and a green vegetable.
—Angela M. Lepitre, Claremont, N.H.