Baked Pork Chops with Cheese
- Yield 6 servings
"This entree is my very favorite to serve for a dinner party. I prepare it ahead of time. Because it does not take long to bake, I put it in the oven while my guests are enjoying their appetizers."
- 6 pork chops, about 6 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 6 thin slices baked ham
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage
- 1 cup Gruyere or Swiss cheese, shredded or sliced
- 3/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brown chops in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and pour off juices into a casserole dish.
- Line the dish with bay leaves. Put chops on top of bay leaves and cover each chop with a slice of ham. Finely chop the sage and sprinkle over ham.
- Sprinkle cheese over sage, cover casserole, and bake 25 minutes.
- Season with pepper before serving.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: Steamed vegetables make a super side dish. A sprig of sage is the perfect garnish for the pork chops.
Kathie Baczynski, San Diego, Calif.