Baked Oysters Espy
- Yield 6 servings
A rich, caramelized barbecue-type sauce tops these baked oysters.
Every Christmas Eve in Willapa Bay, Wash., Nyel and Sydney Stevens serve baked oysters. A century-old family tradition, the recipe has been passed down from Sydney's great-grandmother, Julia Jefferon Espy.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 medium oysters
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 bacon, cut in thirds
- 3 ounces medium-sharp Cheddar cheese, sliced into 6 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Spray 6 ramekins or shells with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place 2 oysters in each ramekin.
- Mix ketchup, Tabasco and Worcestershire. Spoon 1 tablespoon over each serving of oysters. Place 1 piece of bacon on top. Place 1 slice of Cheddar cheese over bacon. Bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until browned and crusty.
—Nyel and Sydney Stevens