Baked Mushroom Parmesan
- Yield 4 servings
These baked mushrooms star pasta sauce and a combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
- 4 large portabella mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce, divided
- 4 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (4-ounces) shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (1-ounce) grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to broil, with top rack about 4 inches from broiler. Brush both sides of mushrooms with oil. Place mushrooms, gill side down, in a 9-inch baking dish. Broil 4 minutes, remove and turn gill side up, broil 4 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from baking dish; drain excess liquid. Turn off broiler and set baking temperature to 400F.
- Spread 1/2 cup pasta sauce on bottom of baking dish, then place mushrooms, gill side up. Sprinkle with basil, red pepper flakes and remaining pasta sauce. Top with mozzarella cheese and parmesan; bake 5 to 10 minutes, until the cheese begins to brown. Remove and serve.