Baked Idaho Mashed Potato Casserole
- Yield: 6 to 8 servings
- 6-- red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1/4cup half and half
- 1small onion, finely chopped
- 1stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/2cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 3tablespoons grated Asiago Cheese
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- 1pinch paprika
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a skillet. Sauté the onions, celery and red pepper until tender. Set aside.
- When the potatoes are done, drain well and return to the cooking pot. Add butter and half and half. Mash together. Add sautéed vegetables. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in an 8×8 casserole dish. Spoon mashed potatoes into the dish and sprinkle with Asiago cheese and paprika. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.