Baked Greek-Stuffed Vidalias
- Yield: 4 servings
- 4large Vidalia onions
- 8ounces orzo pasta
- 2teaspoons pure olive oil
- 2teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2cup minced red bell peppers
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1tablespoon pitted and chopped Kalamata olives
- 1/4cup unseasoned dried or fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Leaving skin on onions, slice top 1 inch off each and trim off root from the other end. Place onions in a microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover lightly with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH 8 minutes or until onions are slightly softened. Alternatively, using a conventional oven, place onions in a nonreactive baking dish with 1/2 inch water, cover with foil and bake 20 minutes or until slightly softened.
- After letting the onion cool slightly, use your fingers or a teaspoon to prod out center section leaving a half-inch shell at the bottom and sides. Set shells aside. Chop center section of onions; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add orzo pasta and cook about 10 minutes until al dente; drain and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add reserved chopped onions, garlic, peppers and oregano and saute 2 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add cooked orzo and continue to saute 1 minute. Add olives, bread crumbs and cheese, salt, lemon juice and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Fill onion cavities with orzo mixture mounding it over the top of each onion. Place stuffed onions in a nonreactive baking dish, and bake uncovered for 20 minutes or until onions are tender and stuffing is heated through.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 329
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 7mg
- Sodium 436mg
- Carbohydrate 60g
- Protein 11g