Baked Gemelli with Crimini Mushrooms
- Yield 6 servings
This creamy baked pasta dish stars crimini mushrooms, cabbage and cheese.
- 1 pound dried gemelli pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thick cut bacon, cubed
- 1 cup red pearl onions, halved
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups savoy cabbage, chopped
- Parsley and additional parmesan for garnish, if desired
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large saucepan and stir in flour, salt and pepper, and whisk in milk. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to slightly thicken sauce, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in cheeses and stir until melted.
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crispy, then remove and place on paper towels, leaving excess oil in skillet. Add onions to skillet and cook until tender. Add mushrooms and cook, without stirring, about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until other side is same color. Add cabbage and about 2 tablespoons water and steam till soft. Return bacon to skillet, stir in sauce and cook until hot.
- Add cooked, drained pasta to skillet and stir. Transfer mixture to an ovenproof dish, top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan and bake until sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with parsley and additional Parmesan, if desired.