Baked Gemelli with Crimini Mushrooms
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1pound dried gemelli pasta
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 1/2tablespoon freshly ground pepper
- 2cups milk
- 1/2cup grated parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3/4cup grated Fontina cheese
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2pound thick cut bacon, cubed
- 1cup red pearl onions, halved
- 8ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2cups savoy cabbage, chopped
- Parsley and additional parmesan for garnish, if desired
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, melt butter in a large saucepan and stir in flour, salt and pepper, and whisk in milk. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to slightly thicken sauce, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, whisk in cheeses and stir until melted.
- Heat olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crispy, then remove and place on paper towels, leaving excess oil in skillet. Add onions to skillet and cook until tender. Add mushrooms and cook, without stirring, about 5 minutes or until mushrooms become red-brown on one side. Flip mushrooms and cook about 5 minutes more, until other side is same color. Add cabbage and about 2 tablespoons water and steam till soft. Return bacon to skillet, stir in sauce and cook until hot.
- Add cooked, drained pasta to skillet and stir. Transfer mixture to an ovenproof dish, top with 2 tablespoons Parmesan and bake until sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- Serve garnished with parsley and additional Parmesan, if desired.