- Yield 16 pieces
A perfect little bite, this Spanish tapas is filled with ground beef and olives.
- 1/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon brandy or sherry wine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish (smoked) paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces puff pastry dough, thawed (1 sheet)
- 1 egg beaten
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic; saute 5 minutes or until beef is browned. Add olives, raisins, tomato paste, water, almonds, brandy, salt, paprika and cayenne. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Scrape mixture into a food processor and pulse until mixture holds together.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roll and cut pastry dough into 16 (3-inch) squares. Divide filling evenly among squares; fold over and pinch closed to seal. Place on a nonstick baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg and bake 17 minutes. Yield: 16 empanadas.
Recipe by Jeanette Hurt