Baked Egg Bell Pepper Tarts
- Yield 8 servings
The sautéed veggies make a delightful nest for an egg, baked sunny side up in the oven.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup spinach, Swiss chard or kale, chopped
- 2 ounces white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper sauce
- 8 pre-baked mini tart shells, 3 to 4 inches in diameter
- 8 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Place the oil a skillet over medium high heat. Sauté the onion for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is just beginning to soften. Add the bell pepper and greens of choice. Cook another 2 to 3 minutes, or until all the vegetables have softened. If using the swiss chard or kale instead of spinach, cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in the cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper sauce.
- Divide mixture evenly into the mini tart shells. Crack one egg onto top of each tart. Place the filled tart shells on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes for eggs with soft yolks. If you like the egg yolks more solid, then leave in oven and check every minute or two until eggs have been cooked to preference. Serve immediately.