- Yield servings
"All of my brothers and sisters come by my house to see what I'm cooking. This chicken is a favorite."
- 1 3-pound broiler/fryer chicken, cut up
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken into a lightly greased 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Whisk together flour and water in saucepan until smooth. Add brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until mixture begins to boil. Continue stirring for 2 minutes, until thick. Add onion, mustard, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 45 minutes, until chicken juices run clear.
Recipe by Francine Jones, Wilson, N.C.