Baked Cannellini Beans
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Canned cannellini beans are a great source of fiber. And baked with onion, tomatoes and thyme and oregano, they make a great side dish.
Rinse beans before adding and use "no salt added" tomatoes to lower sodium.
- 4 -- (15-ounce) cans white kidney beans (cannellini) or great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 -- bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 -- (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup molasses
- -- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Pour beans into a 2-quart casserole. Stick cloves into onion half and add to beans with bay leaf and garlic.
- In a skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute chopped onion until tender. Add to beans. Stir in tomatoes, molasses, cayenne, thyme, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Remove onion half and bay leaf before serving.