Low-Fat Baked Beans
- Yield 12 servings
This is an easy low-fat version of an old-fashioned recipe. If desired, you can leave out the bacon for a vegetarian dish.
- 1 -- onion, chopped
- 1 -- green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- 2 -- (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 -- (19-ounce) cans white kidney beans (cannellini), drained
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, saute onion and green pepper until tender, about 4 minutes. Add Canadian bacon. Cook 5 more minutes.
- Place beans in a 2-quart casserole dish and add sauteed vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, barbecue sauce and mustard. Mix well. Bake, covered, 40 minutes.