Low-Fat Baked Beans
- Yield 12 servings
This is an easy low-fat version of an old-fashioned recipe. If desired, you can leave out the bacon for a vegetarian dish.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 ounces Canadian bacon, cut in 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained
- 2 (19-ounce) cans white kidney beans (cannellini), drained
- 1/8 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Saute onion and green pepper in a nonstick skillet until tender, about 4 minutes. Toss in Canadian bacon and cook an additional 5 minutes
- Combine beans, sauteed veggies, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, barbecue sauce and mustard. Thoroughly mix and bake in a casserole dish for 40 minutes until bubbly.