Baked Apples with Lemon Streusel
- Yield servings
- 4 large granny smith apples
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut in cubes
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 lemon zest madeleines, crumbled (about 2 cups, can substitute pound cake)
- 2 cinnamon sticks, cut in half
- 1/4 cup dulce de leche
- whipped cream
- Cut top of apples off, set aside. Core apple and using a paring knife cut the top of the apple a little wider so you can fit more stuffing inside. Repeat for all the apples. Put apples in small baking dish.
- Cut lemon in half. Juice half the lemon and drizzle the lemon juice all over the insides of the apples (to help prevent browning).
- In a bowl, add butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and madeleines (or pound cake). Use hands to mix and combine butter throughout streusel. Will be crumbly!
- Stuff each apple with the streusel by pressing the mixture into the core with fingers. Use remaining streusel to top each apple, pressing firmly. Return top of apple and stick half a cinnamon stick through the center to hold it in place (will also look like a stem).
- Bake apples, uncovered, in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. While baking, make caramel sauce. In a mixer combine dulce de leche with juice from half of a lemon. Beat for two minutes until creamy.
- Remove apples from oven, immediately drizzle with caramel sauce. Top with whipped cream and enjoy warm!
—Recipe by Aimee, Shugary Sweets