Bacon-Wrapped Goat Cheese with Dandelion Greens
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1tablespoon minced mixed fresh herbs, such as chives, chervil, mint, and tarragon
- 4 small, firm rounds of goat's milk cheese (2 ounces each)
- 8slices ultra-thin smoked bacon, pancetta or smoked ham
- 6cups firmly packed dandelion greens, torn into bite-sized pieces (or use baby spinach)
- Sprinkle the herbs over both sides of each goat cheese round, pressing down lightly so they adhere. Wrap 2 slices of bacon, crisscross fashion, around each cheese.
- Heat the skillet over moderate heat. Add the wrapped cheese and cook until the meat is browned, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a layer of paper towels to drain.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the greens with just enough dressing to lightly and evenly coat them. Arrange the greens on large salad plates. Place a wrapped goat cheese on top of each salad and serve with a simple, classic vinaigrette.
The recipe appears with publisher’s permission from “Salad as a Meal” (William Morrow).