Bacon-Topped Eggplant with Black Olives
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 45 minutes
- 2 small or 1 large eggplant
- 1cup crumbs from dry caraway seeded rye bread
- 1/4cup minced onion
- 1tablespoon melted butter
- 1cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2/3cup chopped ripe olives
- 4 bacon slices
- Cook eggplants in boiling salted water until softened but not cooked completely, 8 to 10 minutes. Cut into halves and hollow out centers. Leave shell 1/2-inch thick.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Chop the centers and mix with all other ingredients except bacon. Fill eggplant shells and put in baking dish. Cover with bacon and bake until bacon is crisp and brown on top, about 45 minutes.