Bacon and Apple Cheeseburger Sliders
- Yield: 4 servings
Tip: If buns are too thick, cut off a thin slice from the inside of each bun half.
- Apple Aioli:
- 1/3cup mayonnaise
- 5teaspoons frozen apple juice from concentrate
- 1pound 85 percent lean ground beef
- 2/3cup cup coarsely shredded, unpeeled, sweet-tart red apple
- 1/4cup chopped red onion
- 3 thick slices applewood-smoked bacon, cooked and very finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/2teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3ounces Swiss cheese slices, cut into 12 pieces
- 12 cocktail buns or Parker House rolls, split
- 12small lettuce leaves or fresh baby spinach
- Very thinly sliced, unpeeled, sweet-tart red apple (optional)
- To prepare the Apple Aioli, stir together mayonnaise and apple juice concentrate. Makes about 1/3 cup.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- To prepare burgers, mix ground beef, shredded apple, onion, bacon, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt and pepper in large bowl until just combined (do not overwork meat mixture). With damp hands, form mixture into 12 (2 1/2-inch) round patties.
- Broil patties on rack in broiling pan, 4 inches from heat 8 to 12 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted near centers reads 160F, turning patties over halfway through broiling. (Or, grill patties on grill cooking screen or in grill basket directly over medium heat, uncovered, 8 to 12 minutes, turning over once.)
- Place 1 piece of cheese on the top of each patty. Continue broiling (or cover grill and continue grilling) 30 to 60 seconds, until cheese begins to melt.
- To serve, spread aioli on bottom of buns. Top with patties, apple slices (if using) and lettuce. Close sandwiches with bun tops. If desired, hold sandwiches close with wooden sandwich picks or 6-inch bamboo skewers.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association