Bacon, Kale and Raisin Strata
- Yield 10 servings
- Prep 30 minutes
- Cook 65 minutes
- 8 slices smoked bacon, diced
- 2 leeks (white part only), chopped
- 1 pound kale, chard, greens or spinach, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly gound black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 12 large eggs
- 8 cups challah bread or brioche, cubed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) grated Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- Coat a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, sauté bacon and leeks until bacon is crisp and leeks are tender, about 15 minutes. Add garlic, kale, raisins, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until kale is wilted. (You may need to add the kale in batches.)
- Combine half-and-half and eggs in a large bowl. Beat until blended. Stir in bread cubes, Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, rosemary and 1 cup Gruyère. Add vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Pour egg mixture into baking dish. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove strata from refrigerator and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Gruyère.
- Bake 40 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle of the strata comes out clean. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
—Recipe by Jill Melton, Relish Editor