Bacon Cheddar Scones
- Yield: 16 servings
- 4slices bacon, chopped
- 3cups all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon baking powder
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 1/2cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 1/2cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until brown and crisp; drain. You may microwave the bacon until crisp, if desired.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together into a bowl.
- Cut the butter, cheese, green onions and pepper into the flour mixture with a pastry belnder or fork just until the mixture begins to form lumps.
- Add the bacon. Add 1 cup of the heavy cream and mix just until the dough becomes sticky; do not overwork.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a ball.
- Divide the dough into two equal portions and shape each portion into a 7-inch round, 3/4 inch thick. Cut each round into eight wedges using a sharp knife.
- Arrange the wedges 1/2 inch apart on a baking sheet. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons heavy cream and bake for 22 to 23 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool slightly and serve.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Sarasota, Simply Sarasota, Creative Casual Cuisine (The Junior League of Sarasota, 2007).