Bacon Apple Pie
- Cook: 1 hour 15 minutes
Pastry chef Alisa Huntsman answers the call to incorporate bacon into dessert, resulting in the ultimate sweet and salty pie.
- 1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked
- 3/4cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
- 6cups 1/2-inch-thick sliced peeled apples (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
- 8-12slices uncooked bacon (preferably dry-cured)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place pie shell on a sturdy baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves together with your fingertips until blended. Add apples and toss to coat. Dump spiced apple slices into the pie shell, including any sugar and juices that have accumulated in the bowl.
- Weave uncooked bacon on top of the pie filling, starting from the center and working your way out to the edges. For a lattice topping you should have an over-under pattern with 5 pieces going vertically and five pieces going horizontally. Trim the edges and pinch into the crust to seal. Cover pie with foil and bake in the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Remove cover. Continue baking for 15 minutes until golden brown and bacon is crisp.
- Let pie cool for 1 hour before cutting.