Backyard Babyback Ribs with Molasses BBQ Mop
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
Tender and juicy ribs are mopped down with a delicious sauce made of beer, molasses barbecue sauce and apple cider vinegar.
- Molasses BBQ Mop:
- 1 -- (12-ounce bottle or can of your favorite beer
- 1 cup Weber® Real Molasses BBQ Sauce: Original
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of your favorite barbecue rub that isn't too salty
- 4 -- racks babyback ribs, about 2 pounds each
- 2 -- lemons, cut in half
- 1/4 cup favorite barbecue rub or Weber® Garlic & Herb Seasoning
- -- Soaked wood chips, if desired
- To make the mop sauce: Pour the bottle of beer into a medium, nonreactive bowl. Add the barbecue sauce and vinegar, and whisk to combine. Stir in the barbecue rub and let sit for 10 minutes before using.
- Funnel into a plastic squeeze bottle or put in a clean glass jar until ready to use. The mop will keep, tightly covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Shake before using.
- To prepare the ribs: Build charcoal fire or preheat gas grill. Remove silver skin from back of ribs, if desired. Set up the grill for indirect heat, and if using wood chips, place soaked chips directly on charcoal or in smoking box of gas grill.
- Rub the cut lemons over front and back of ribs, squeezing to release as much juice as possible. Set aside for 5 minutes. Rub ribs liberally with spice rub and let sit, covered, for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place ribs (bone-side down) in the center of the cooking grate or in a rib holder/rack, making sure they are not over a direct flame. Grill covered (at about 300F, if your grill has a thermometer) for 1 1⁄2 to 2 hours, or until meat is tender and has pulled back from the ends of the rib bones.
- Leave ribs untended for the first 30 minutes – this means no peeking; it is especially important if using wood chips. If the ribs start to burn on the edges, stack them on top of one another in the very center of the grill and lower your fire slightly. Thirty minutes before serving, unstack ribs, if necessary, and brush with Molasses BBQ Mop every 10 minutes until they are done.
- Remove ribs from grill and let rest 10 minutes before cutting into individual or 2-3 rib portions. Warm Weber® Real Molasses BBQ Sauce: Original in a saucepan and serve on the side, if desired.