Baby Spinach Salad with Grilled Onions and Tomato Vinaigrette
- Prep: 30 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2tablespoons tomato paste
- 1tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 1/2tablespoon shallots, chopped
- 1/4cup Sherry vinegar
- 1 1/4cups olive oil
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 1/2tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 6cups spinach
- Place the tomato paste, tamarind pulp, shallot, and vinegar in a blender an mix well.
- Slowly add the oil a drop at a time at first and then in a slow, steady stream until it is all incorporated. Add the salt. The dressing can be kept in the refrigerator for 1 week.
- Peel and slice one large red onion thick enough so that you can handle the slices and they will not fall apart when you cook them. Rub them with a little olive oil and cook the onions over a charcoal fire or under a hot broiler until soft (approximately 5 to 6 minutes per side).
- Toss the onions in a bowl with 1-1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar so that the slices become single rings. These will keep refrigerated 2 to 3 days.
- Wash and dry one medium handful (about 1 cup) spinach for each portion and toss with enough dressing to coat each leaf, being careful not to over-dress the salad. Arrange the onions over the salad and serve.
Note: You can find the tamarind pulp called for at any Latin specialty store and in some International food sections at major supermarkets.