Baby Spinach Salad with Dates and Almonds
- Yield: 4 servings
Crisp-fried pitas and almonds contrast with tender baby spinach leaves.
- 1tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 31/2ounces Medjool dates, quartered lengthwise
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2small pitas, about 31/2 ounces, roughly torn into 11/2-inch pieces
- 1/2cup whole unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2teaspoons sumac
- 1/2teaspoon chile flakes
- 5ounces baby spinach leaves
- 2tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juices
- Put the vinegar, onion and dates in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well with your hands. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes, then drain any residual vinegar and discard.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and half the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the pita and almonds and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring all the time, until the pita is crunchy and golden brown. Remove from the heat and mix in the sumac, chile flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside to cool.
- When you are ready to serve, toss the spinach leaves with the pita mix in a large mixing bowl. Add the dates and red onOn, the remaining olive oil, the lemon juice and another pinch of salt. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.