Baby Spinach Salad with Dates and Almonds
- Yield 4 servings
Crisp-fried pitas and almonds contrast with tender baby spinach leaves.
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 31/2 ounces Medjool dates, quartered lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small pitas, about 31/2 ounces, roughly torn into 11/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup whole unsalted almonds, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1/2 teaspoon chile flakes
- 5 ounces baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juices
- Put the vinegar, onion and dates in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt and mix well with your hands. Leave to marinate for 20 minutes, then drain any residual vinegar and discard.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter and half the olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the pita and almonds and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring all the time, until the pita is crunchy and golden brown. Remove from the heat and mix in the sumac, chile flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside to cool.
- When you are ready to serve, toss the spinach leaves with the pita mix in a large mixing bowl. Add the dates and red onOn, the remaining olive oil, the lemon juice and another pinch of salt. Taste for seasoning and serve immediately.
Reprinted with permission from Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi and Sami Tamimi, copyright © 2012. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc.