Baby Bella, Caramelized Onion and Swiss Panini
- Yield 2 servings
Enjoy the savory flavors of caramelized onions and earthy mushrooms in this delicious vegetarian panini.
- Caramelized Onions:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted herb butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4 slices Pan Bigio, sliced thick on the bias
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- Place 2 tablespoons olive oil into a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are softened. Add sugar, continue cooking, stirring as necessary until onions have caramelized (approximately 30 minutes). Set aside.
- Into a small sauté pan add: 2 tablespoons herb butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat Panini press to 350F. Equally distribute mushrooms between two slices of bread. Equally top with mushrooms with caramelized onions. Place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on each piece of bread. Place tomatoes, if using, of top. Place corresponding slices of bread on top. Lightly brush tops of bread with room temperature herb butter.
- Place sandwiches onto hot panini press. Cook 4 to 5 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese has melted.