- Caramelized Onions:
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1medium red onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 2tablespoons unsalted herb butter
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 4slices Pan Bigio, sliced thick on the bias
- 4slices swiss cheese
- 4 cherry tomatoes
blog comments powered by
- Place 2 tablespoons olive oil into a sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add onions. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until onions are softened. Add sugar, continue cooking, stirring as necessary until onions have caramelized (approximately 30 minutes). Set aside.
- Into a small sauté pan add: 2 tablespoons herb butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Heat over medium heat. Add mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat Panini press to 350F. Equally distribute mushrooms between two slices of bread. Equally top with mushrooms with caramelized onions. Place 2 slices of Swiss cheese on each piece of bread. Place tomatoes, if using, of top. Place corresponding slices of bread on top. Lightly brush tops of bread with room temperature herb butter.
- Place sandwiches onto hot panini press. Cook 4 to 5 minutes until bread is toasted and cheese has melted.
Tips: If you do not have a panini grill, use a nonstick skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Place sandwich onto hot pan. Using a heavy pan (such as a cast iron pan), weigh sandwich down. Cook as directed above.