Avocado Turkey Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 min
- Cook 60 min
A sweet and spicy baked potato is completed by creamy avocado.
Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
- 1 Fresh Avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, cubed
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces ground white meat turkey
- 1 can (14 oz.) petite diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 400F.
- With a fork, pierce sweet potatoes all over several times. Place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil; bake until soft and fork tender, about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Add onion and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, oregano and salt.
- Add turkey; cook, stirring and breaking it up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in avocado. Slice baked sweet potatoes lengthwise just until open. Fill with turkey mixture. Top with cheese, if desired. One serving=1 medium sweet potato.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 128%; Vitamin C 66%; Calcium 5%; Iron 11%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.