Avocado Tomatillo Salsa
- Yield 4 cups
Tomatillos are friendlier than they look -- the rough husk is just a wrapper for the sweetish green fruit. This salsa is served as a dip, but it is also delicious atop grilled fish and Mexican dishes.
- 5 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 4 medium avocados, pitted, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 to 2 -- jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- -- Blue corn tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Place the tomatillos on a foil-lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Coarsely chop the roasted tomatillos and combine with the avocados, jalapenos, lime juice, garlic, cilantro and salt. Serve warm or chilled with tortilla chips.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Houston, Inc., Peace Meals, a Book of Recipes for Cooking and Connecting (The Junior League of Houston, Inc., 2008)